Xequte User Forums
Profile    Active Topics    Forum FAQ    Search this forumSearch
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 MailList King
 Can no longer send via AT&T
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

irpworks

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  19:37:16  Show Profile  Reply
MLK Business Edition v7.30R
Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3

Contention: Sometime last week, around 18 Sept., AT&T possibly made a change which keeps MKL from being able to login with SSL. MLK can no longer login to the AT&T mail server while Outlook has no problem with identical settings.

All was working earlier in the week. Then, all emails sending through the ISP began failing: automated emails, acknowledgment emails, and sending to groups.

This condition has been verified by hours of testing. I've eliminated the possibility of any corruption of the MLK program on my computer by both installing the latest version again and, duplicated the same failure on a backup machine that is rarely used for MLK but was working with the same MLK version a month ago.

Using other non-AT&T email accounts work fine though none I use require SSL so I'm not able to determine if a problem is with MLK's SSL coding or is unique to AT&T.

AT&T will not confirm any changes. All settings are still the same according to AT&T support and their website: smtp.att.yahoo.com; outgoing port 465 with SSL checked, and; SMTP requires authentication.

Any test email with MLK fails immediately with a pop-up error indicating an SSL failure. This is the text in each log entry after each address attempted:

Commencing Send (4)
MailAgent: MailList King 7.3.0.724
Enabling SSL
Connecting to SMTP Server: smtp.att.yahoo.com
SMTP Connection Error: Error connecting with SSL.
SMTP Connection Error: Error connecting with SSL.
Disconnecting from SMTP Server

Obviously, I need this to work with AT&T as it is my primary high-speed ISP and is the only account without sending limits.

Again, sending to one or multiple addresses through the same account with Outlook works fine. Nothing changed from the time the MLK worked and stopped working that I'm aware of. No MLK upgrades or Outlook upgrades. XP Service Pack 3 was installed on the 10th and a completed email broadcast went out on 9/16 without error.

I've waited several days to ensure that this was not a temporary mail server problem. The problem has persisted with no change of symptoms.

Please advise.

emtenzer

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  19:57:20  Show Profile  Reply
I can document the same. I sent an email on Sept. 18 and it went through fine. Today I got the SSL message (AT&T account). I changed the server back to the one without SSL (port 25) and 25 at a time would go through.

Elaine Tenzer
Go to Top of Page

irpworks

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  09:56:34  Show Profile  Reply
Thank you for confirming this. I worked the problem for several days it appears as some change at AT&T. My workaround is some alternate email accounts but they are limited to 250 relays per day - I can't get any mailings out at such small numbers.
Go to Top of Page

emtenzer

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  10:06:15  Show Profile  Reply
I had a mailing to get out this morning to 600 members. I used the batched sending. I sent 24 at a time (they always crashed at 25) and waiting 3 minutes to send the next batch. I kept the settings at port 25 and no SSL. It obviously took awhile, but they all went through fine.

Elaine Tenzer
Go to Top of Page

irpworks

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  10:09:13  Show Profile  Reply
Thank you. I have verified that using port 25 without SSL works but only for a limited number.

I've been dealing with Southwestern Bell / AT&T for many years and I'm fairly certain that they will, at some point, notice the large sending from port 25 and do something to block it. Hopefully this workaround will work until we can discover why MLK is blocked from SSL sending when Outlook works fine.
Robert
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  13:05:51  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Robert and Elaine

I have read that AT&T rolled out new mail servers around then and that is the cause of the issue. It appears to be affecting Thunderbird users as well.

Can Outlook send via the AT&T servers? Have you tried having MLK send via Outlook?

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

emtenzer

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  13:32:10  Show Profile  Reply
Thanks, Nigel for looking into this. I also saw a few comments online about Thunderbird. I am using Outlook for the reply emails, but not for blasts. However I am using my client's web host servers and that didn't work yesterday, either. Also interesting was that I have used the MLK servers in the past quite often and yesterday used them for my "test" e-mails and I never received them. Until I saw Robert's post I thought it was my computer having issues.

Elaine Tenzer
Go to Top of Page

irpworks

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  14:02:21  Show Profile  Reply
Outlook has no problem sending self-generated emails. But, I've not tried the send with Outlook feature. I can possible do so tonight in a test if that will help.
Robert
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  20:15:56  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Elaine

When sending via MLK's servers did it report success or not. I expect if you look at the log you will find that MLK's server was blocked because of your firewall or ISP blocking port 25.

For more detail please email me the log file for the sending task:

1. Run MLK and click Ctrl+Shift+I.
2. Check the box to display your database folder and click "OK"
3. Browse to the subfolder named "SendLogs"
4. In that folder your log files are named "mail_sent_*.txt" with the date of the delivery included in the name. Find the files of the relevant date and send them to me

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

irpworks

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  17:28:52  Show Profile  Reply
I have again attempted, today, to send through the AT&T server with SSL and it still fails as before.

I have also tried the send-through-Outlook feature (using the exact same AT&T account and SSL settings in Outlook as they are set in MLK) and it appears to work with my test list.

Something appears to need updating or patching in MLK to now send through AT&T directly.

Please advise on any changes or updates.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  00:10:43  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Robert

Nothing has changed on our end with respect to SSL. AT&T appear to have made changes that are causing issues for Outlook users too:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook/browse_thread/thread/45882fa0e4cd3c00/05ae93ab4fa7458c?hl=en&lnk=st&q=#05ae93ab4fa7458c
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook/browse_thread/thread/c5faad3138e4a4dd/9a7013577bf2109a?hl=en&lnk=st&q=#9a7013577bf2109a

It's possible that their changes require us to make modifications in our software to support it, but because they have not released any information (that i know of) about the changes, we are in the dark.

We don't have any AT&T accounts (it is not even in NZ), but SSL sending via GMail still works fine.

I'll send you some information to enable debug logging and possibly that will give some guidance.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

irpworks

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  14:40:53  Show Profile  Reply
Update on sending. Testing with send-through-Outlook works fine with small test batches. But, when I did attempt a large send with 50 piece batches a few minutes apart, the SSL errors began showing up in Outlook.

The work around, to get the emails sent which were already dumped to Outlook from MLK, was to close the program (Outlook) at each error stop, then restart. It would then send another 25 to 50 emails.

It appears that they've put some sending limit in through the SSL. I changed the sending for the balance to send the the ISP (AT&T) without the SSL and through port 25. This works if the batches are at 25 emails and spaced out a few minutes apart.

I will provide you with other data requested in the separate email.
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  15:18:14  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

If it is due to a new sending limit regime by AT&T then your only resolution is to configure the ISP Limited sending in MLK (View > Options, Sending, Other Sending Settings) or sign up with an SMTP service such as AuthSMTP or TZO.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

irpworks

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  15:45:09  Show Profile  Reply
AT&T says there is no sending limit and that has been the case. They still claim no sending limit.

Because of other regular everyday problems with their SSL service, sometimes requiring Outlook to be closed and restarted to send regular email, I believe it is all rooted in their SSL service. But certainly they pretend ignorance on having any problems.
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  14:42:43  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Robert and Elaine,

Can you confirm what type/version of SSL connection AT&T are expecting? Currently MLK defaults to SSL v2, but other options are available.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

emtenzer

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  16:08:15  Show Profile  Reply
I waited a half hour to chat with AT&T support and they finally came back and said that they didn't have a version of SSL.

Elaine Tenzer
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  01:00:35  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Robert and Elaine,

I've sent you a test version. Has that resolved the issue?

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

emtenzer

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  05:31:37  Show Profile  Reply
You suggested changing the SSLMethod in your email. In my settings.ini file I have "SendMethod=5". Is this the setting to change? I could not find a line with "SSLMethod".

Elaine Tenzer
Go to Top of Page

irpworks

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  10:05:46  Show Profile  Reply
Elaine,

I've installed the new test version of MLK and it all works as Nigel advised. In my settings file, after installing the test version, the item is listed as SSLMethod=3. Search for SSLMethod and you'll find it.

The SSL version 3 setting is what worked after testing. I'm back up to full, regular sending use through AT&T with setting 3.

Note, be sure you close MLK before you change the SSLMethod=0 to SSLMethod=3 and save.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

irpworks

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  10:21:59  Show Profile  Reply
Nigel, the test version works great for sending with AT&T as the ISP with SSL version 3.

One thing that did change after the update is that Outlook no longer keeps my MLK toolbar. I have to turn it on each time I load Outlook. I'm not sure what could have caused this but it is a behavior change you may need to know about.

Robert
Go to Top of Page

emtenzer

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  10:44:08  Show Profile  Reply
Robert-
Thanks for doing the testing. Two questions: was the "test" exe (the download Nigel send)that you ran a new version of Mail King? and when you use the ATT/SBCglobal servers now are you limited on how many you can send?

Elaine

Elaine Tenzer
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: