Xequte User Forums
Profile    Active Topics    Forum FAQ    Search this forumSearch
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 MailList King
 Adding Addresses from Windows Live Mail
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paulwainwright

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  11:24:22  Show Profile  Reply
I’m currently running Mail List King v10.44r on a (new) Windows 7 machine with Windows Live Mail. I understand from the FAQ that I can only import addresses from my In-Box on WLM. I have 2 questions:

1. I have several e-mail accounts on WLM, each with an in-box. I presume that all of the in-boxes are checked for new addresses. Is this correct?

2. When I try to import addresses from WLM, MLK seems to add all of the addresses that are found. I do not seem to be given an option to ignore addresses that are already in the MLK database. Is there a way to import ONLY new addresses that are found in WLM?

Paul Wainwright

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  12:29:53  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Paul

1. No, it will only import from the default account

2. MLK blocks duplicates so it will only add contacts that do not already exist in your mailing list.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

paulwainwright

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  12:33:57  Show Profile  Reply
How do I find out which is the default account?

I think my plan will be to temporarily place all recent e-mails in that account, run MLK to extract new addresses, then put the e-mails back where they belong. Does that sound like a reasonable workaround?

Paul Wainwright
Go to Top of Page

paulwainwright

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  13:08:31  Show Profile  Reply
Upon further study, here's what I'm noticing:

1. MLK looks in all in-boxes that I have set up in WLM.

2. MLK is definitely picking up ALL addresses and adding them to the database, not just the new ones. Actually the address is not added twice, but the address appears in the new group ("general") as well as wherever it was before I performed the "get addresses" function. How can I get MLK to completely ignore addresses that are already in the database?

Paul Wainwright
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  00:56:38  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Paul

1. Interesting, must be a "feature" of WLM

2. Yes, that is correct. When importing a contact that already exists in the database any changed fields will be updated, that includes group subscription. If you have members in "Group_A" and you import your contacts specifying that they should be added to "Group_B" then they are added to Group_B even if the already exist in "Group_A". There is not an option to prevent that, but i will look into it for a later update.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

paulwainwright

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  07:08:12  Show Profile  Reply
I am a Windows Live Mail user but have not updated my MLK address list since last fall when I originally posted the above complaint. I am wondering if there is an upgrade to MLK that does a better job at importing addresses from WLM than what I currently have (v. 10.44r)?

Paul Wainwright
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  02:34:20  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Paul

No, the WLM functionality has not changed since that update.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

paulwainwright

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  02:36:43  Show Profile  Reply
Any plans for such an update in the future?

Paul Wainwright
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2012 :  15:12:11  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Paul

Yes, as we consider WLM to be an important source (though Outlook and POP are our main ones).

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

paulwainwright

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2012 :  02:29:30  Show Profile  Reply
Thanks! Let me suggest 2 "requirements" for better WLM support:

1. (Most important): When searching through a WLM folder to import new e-mail addresses, IGNORE any e-mail address that is already in the MLK database.

2. (Less important, but would improve on a rather awkward situation): Allow the MLK user to select which WLM folder to look in when importing addresses (currently, all in-boxes in WLM are looked in).

Cheers!

Paul Wainwright
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  02:52:28  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Paul

1. It should not be processed anyway as it already exists in the list...

2. It is on the to-do list

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

paulwainwright

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  05:29:41  Show Profile  Reply
Currently, MLK 10.44r adds all e-mail addresses it finds in the WLM in-box to the group 'default'. If an e-mail address already exists in another group it shows up as '2 groups', one group being 'default' and the other group being whatever it was in before the WLM addresses were processed. Is there an administrative setting that I need to change? I did not see any options in the pop-up windows to ignore addresses currently in the database.

Paul Wainwright
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: