Xequte User Forums
Profile    Active Topics    Forum FAQ    Search this forumSearch
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 MailList King
 Unusual use - multiple entries per address
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

poyan

Germany
84 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  09:50:34  Show Profile  Reply
Hi, all,

I will run a congress where participants may give oral and poster presentations.
1. It is not unusual that some presenters do more than one presentation.
2. It is typical that there is more than one author for every presentation, the presenter and some co-workers.

I have the data in an Access-Database.

I had the idea to use MLK together with odbc and access to manage the whole mailings (acceptance of presentation, information of co-workers [they are sometimes surprised], mailings concerning information and possible changes) and responses, mainly to get a response whether the mail was read. (As me, too, many of the colleagues do not accept the automatic response by the email programs).

MLK because of the much more convenient personalization possibilities, the easier building up of the samples, the response feature and the database-connection.

Well, MLK can manage multiple persons per email-address. But in this scenario I would need multiple database entries per person (per email) depending on a custom field, to solve issue 1.
And a much more complex structure using issue 2.

Most of the work would have to be done in Access, finally preparing an import for MLK where every presentation comes with an own database entry for every author. And in case of multiple presentations every author is somehow made "unique", preferably invisible or not obvious, by adding a special field or by adding an invisible character to a field that is used to discriminate (I suppose: email, name and perhaps address?).

There are two questions:

1. Which informations/fields are necessary to discriminate the different "persons" who are in real life the same with the same name and the same address? Shall I use, for example, the field 'last name' filling it with a unique number (and use a custom field 'last name 2' for the personalization), or shall I add some ascii codes (of some invisible signs) to the name field, or can I use a custom field for this purpose? Always in mind that a reply should go to the correct MLK entry. And that the original data should be still usable to feed up outlook. (Using mlk is a very good alternative to 'import' addresses into OL.)

2. Is there a possibility to attach individual files? Some personalized pdf files, with the link coming from the access database?

Thx
Yango

SPM11
MLK9

poyan

Germany
84 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  10:10:38  Show Profile  Reply
edit command not working... therefore reply

I tried several fields: it seems that only Last Name and First Name can be used for discriminating...
I suggest adding another field with this functionality...

Yango

SPM11
MLK9
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  14:10:24  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Yango

Can I ask why you are going with this model. For example, why not make each presentation an MLK group, then a presenter can belong to multiple presentation [groups] and groups can contain other members.

There is not currently a way to provide different attachments to each member of a mailing, however you could put the files on your server and then provide a different link to each recipient using custom fields or conditional text.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

poyan

Germany
84 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  18:32:43  Show Profile  Reply
Hi, Nigel,

thank you for your hints. I will try that way.

Yango

SPM11
MLK9
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: