Xequte User Forums
Profile    Active Topics    Forum FAQ    Search this forumSearch
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 MailList King
 Optium Hardware Setup
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

justuspost

USA
71 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  13:39:26  Show Profile  Reply
Hi,

I am wondering if you can help me understand how MLK utilizes resources so that I can better optimize my setup.

I have tested putting MLK on the OS drive and on the same drive as the DB’s with similar performance.

What are the best settings for:
Process scheduling – Programs or Background Services
Memory Usage – Programs or System Cache
Virtual Memory – system managed or custom, if custom, how much?

Open DB – Loads very fast, just like opening any other application (with in 1-2 minutes)

Display whole DB – Set cache to 1000, displays fast (with in 1-2 minutes)

Display Group – Selecting group (15,000 members of 700,000) (1h – 1.5h)

Compile Messages – Compile ~700,000 individualized mails (~1.5h)

Send to SMTP – 25 simultaneous connections, 100mbs – local SMTP server (4-5h)

Machine that MLK is on:
Win XP sp2
Athalon 64x2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.21GHz
1gig ram
2 hard drives:
WD 7200 rpm 8mb Cache SATA - OS
WD 10,000 rpm 16mb Cache sata150 - MLK DB’s

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  04:46:49  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

> Process scheduling – Programs or Background Services

For any computer, other than servers this should always be set to "Programs"

> Memory Usage – Programs or System Cache
> Virtual Memory – system managed or custom, if custom, how much?

These are system specific, i can't really make general rules

Your system looks very fast (though personally i don't like to do Windows with less than 2GB) , so i'm quite perplexd by your database speeds, particularly the group search. I just did a quick test on one of our machines (1GHz CPU, 768MB RAM). It took about 4 minutes to do a group search on a database of half a million entries.

Do you have many other programs running at the same time on the computer? What about background programs/services that may be affecting MLK? Try shutting everything down, and just running MLK to see if you have found a culprit.

Do you have any similar database type apps. Do they also run slowly?

Nigel
Xequte Software
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

justuspost

USA
71 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2009 :  13:51:44  Show Profile  Reply
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I have some questions about the Process scheduling statement. Is the system not being used as a server since it is only processing this mail? I know that with my audio recording software, they recommended that my system be set to background services since the processing of the recording etc operated best with these conditions. It would seem to me that it would be more based on how the system is being used. This system has basic spyware/antivirus protection, backup and remote in software running. I have monitored the memory usage and there hasn't seemed to been an issue.

Other then the basic stuff, there are no other running aps. You did not comment on how the hard disks / how the xfer time and utilization plays into this. Any ideas on that?

Thanks!

Justus
Go to Top of Page

justuspost

USA
71 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  13:23:30  Show Profile  Reply
Just an update..

I have set the settings as you mentioned and am sending right now to a SMTP server on our lan(10/100mbs).

Currently it is sending at 0.088 sec per message. (12 msgs per sec)
I'm sending 416,000 messages.

How do these numbers mark against lab tests? I find it hard to believe that the developers of this software cannot recommend a 'ideal' system configuration to maximize the processing speed. When pulling these 416,000 names from the DB (display groups) it took about an hour. This is with the MLK software and the DB both on the raptor drive and the OS and everything else on main drive. No other applications running. System idle time running ~75-90% avg. 114k available physical mem.

I am more then happy to use my db and send as test to establish these numbers, given some direction by the developers. If we can get a 'perfect' set up, we all benefit.

Justus
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  00:27:51  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Justus

MLK is not doing anything that would require special configuration of Windows. Windows (for the most part) is configured by default for best performance. You have changed the only option that would decrease performance for running programs (Set to background services).

Your system would be one that i describe as optimal (with exception only to the RAM): very fast, data on a separate high-speed hard disk, etc.

Comparing your sending speeds against our test system is meaningless, because there are so many variations between your system and ours:
- The size of your message
- Whether your message has embedded images or attachments
- Your internet connection speed
- Any other applications that may be sharing the bandwidth
etc.

Nigel
Xequte Software
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

justuspost

USA
71 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  13:12:28  Show Profile  Reply
OK, I understand the comparison issue. I am still not clear on actually setting up MLK to optimize its speed. You mentioned several pieces, but I do not know what the best setting would be.

"data on a separate high-speed hard disk"

I have several options with this. Which is best?
MLK on drive 1 and DB on drive 2
MLK and DB on drive 2

Justus
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  19:10:38  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Justus

For various reasons (performance and computer management) it is recommended to have your applications (programs such as MLK) on one drive and data (such as MLK's database) on another.

Nigel
Xequte Software
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: