Xequte User Forums
Profile | Join | Active Topics | Search | Forum FAQ
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 MailList King
 Creating Email
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pcsbob

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2016 :  20:16:05  Show Profile  Reply
I have had several versions of MLK over the years. I have always had problems creating emails. I am hoping that someone can get me headed toward a path to minimize the problems I have encountered

About 2 times a year, I try to send emails out to people. When I first purchased MLK I was able to paste the content of a Microsoft Word document directly into the MLK email I was attempting to send. After upgrading to later editions, this simple process has become very difficult or now impossible.

The content of the email now gets completely screwed up. I have tried to save the MS Word document in various formats; rich text, web page, MS word. None work!

Can someone offer me advice on what I may being doing wrong! I am now using Version 14 of MLK

Please help!!!

Please help

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2016 :  20:01:38  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Bob

Unfortunately because Word is not an HTML editor, it adds a lot of content under the hood that is not well supported by HTML.

When MLK recognizes content being pasted from Word it does try to clean it up to make it compatible, but there are still things that can trip it up (for instance, in the source document you emailed me there are some illegal characters).

The best solution for problematic documents is to save as "Web Page, Filtered" in Word. This creates the cleanest HTML, that you can then load into MLK.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com

Go to Top of Page

pcsbob

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2016 :  21:02:03  Show Profile  Reply
Nigel

I saved a copy as a web page. It too contained errors!

1 of the 3 emails sent to you today contained text that was formatted as a web page. It still contained errors

I have cut and pasted word document into outlook for years without problems. Why is MLK designed so it wont accept word document content. I would think that this would be a common tool for MLK purchasers to use to create their emails

It appears that to use MLK successfully you must manually type content into each email. Is this the case?
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2016 :  00:39:54  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Bob

When I saved your fail as Filtered HTML in Word 2013, and loaded in MLK it worked correctly.

MLK isn't "designed" not to accept Word documents, it simply fails to support some advanced formatting of Word. Word is a document editor, but MLK uses an HTML editor (the format of email messages). I expect you will find the same with most HTML editors, in fact we are using a Microsoft Internet Explorer object for HTML editing, so you would imagine it copes better than most. We have actually spent quite a bit of time coding MLK so it does cope with most Word formatting issues.

I think the main problem is that your Word document contains illegal characters, and you probably use the same Word document as the basis for all your mailers so you continue to see the same issue.

Can you please click Ctrl+Shift+D in the MLK editor and let me know what result you get:

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com

Go to Top of Page

pcsbob

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2016 :  08:34:52  Show Profile  Reply
Thank you for the response

When I saved your fail as filtered HTML in Word 2013, and loaded in MLK it worked correctly.
MY WORD IS 2010, NOT 2013.

I ATTMEMPTED TO SAVE ANOTHER COPY WITH DIFFERENT FORMATTING
I DID NOT SEE AN OPTION FOR FILTERED html.
THE CLOSEST OPTION I SAW WAS WEB PAGE FILTERED

Can you please click Ctrl+Shift+D in the MLK editor and let me know what result you get:
I FUMBLED WITH THIS FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES.
I WAS UNABLE TO FIND THE MLK EDITOR
I CREATED A NEW EMAIL, CLICKED ON EDIT AND FOUND HTML EDITOR, SOURCE AND EDIT PLAIN TEXT

THERE NO DOUBT MY INEXPERIENCE IS CAUSING SOME OF THE PROBLEM ANSWERING YOUR QUESTOINS. FURTHER DIRECTIONS WOULD BE APPREICATED.

IS THERE ANYWAY I COULD GIVE YOU ACCESS TO MY COMPUTER SO I COULD WATCH ON THE SCREEN AS YOU SHOWED ME HOW TO ACCESS THIS INFORMATION OR POSSIBLE CORRECT THE PROBLEMS I HAVE
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2016 :  13:03:13  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Bob

Sorry, yes, "Web Page, Filtered" is the correct option to use, and even in Word 2010 it should give clean HTML. What errors did you get?

Also, apologies for not being clearer, when I said the MLK editor, I meant just the new email editor, Click "New Email" then click the Ctrl+Shift+D keys. The Window should pop up. Then you can paste the status.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com

Go to Top of Page

pcsbob

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2016 :  15:24:14  Show Profile  Reply
an email has been sent to you containing the error report.

it also contains an error report I received from MLK when I attempted to upload an png file that was approx. 100k in size. The MLK forum would not allow this to be uploaded
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  18:21:47  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Bob

Thanks, I received your message. Your settings all seem to be correct.

We've spent a few days improving MLK's handling of Word documents with this kind of content. These enhancements will be available in v15.11.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com

Go to Top of Page

pcsbob

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  18:49:41  Show Profile  Reply
Nigel

These are the issues I have been emailing you about since October 30, 2011. I hve no less than 20 emails on file that were sent to you since tht time. The issues I have raised have really made using MLK a difficult. I have spent many many hours since 2011 tryinhg to do work arounds.

While I am thrilled you have made improvement, those improvements won't help me for the version 14 I purchased from you a on December 18, 2015.

By the way, you did not say when V15.11 would be available.

Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  19:49:52  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Bob

In December you purchased the "Quick Fix" (for Windows 10 compatibility) rather than the upgrade, but I will provide a free upgrade anyway. V15.11 should be ready by mid-February. Please email me when it is out.

At any rate, the workaround works fine when I test it here. Save from Word as "Web Page, Filtered" and then load the file into the MLK email editor.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com

Go to Top of Page

pcsbob

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  19:54:46  Show Profile  Reply
Thank for the upgrade offer.

My business is very seasonal. Renters for beach property start their searches for reservations in January. Waiting till mid February to send my emails will be costly for me.

Why don't you send me the V15 code now. I will download the new version, perhaps I can get a few emails out prior to the update
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  16:13:56  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

The handling in the current release (v15.10) is the same as in your version (v14.0) so there is no benefit in you installing until v15.11 is released. Just use the workaround that I mention above.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: