Xequte User Forums
Profile | Join | Active Topics | Search | Forum FAQ
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 MailList King
 Properly importing members to groups.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

iammagi

USA
175 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2014 :  00:42:47  Show Profile  Reply
I created three groups. Each group contains Realtors from different states. When I started importing members from New York, for example, I also had it import to the "General" group as well so I could have a list of all members.

Was this the right way to do it, or should I not have checked off the "General" box when importing?

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2014 :  20:30:49  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are trying to do.

When importing you can either have column specifying the groups to import the member into (i.e. in a comma-separated column) or you can select the groups that they will be imported into.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

iammagi

USA
175 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2014 :  04:45:47  Show Profile  Reply
I selected the groups I wanted the contacts to be imported into, but I chose BOTH the new group I created (NY_Realtors) as well as the default group called "General." I also created a group for Florida Realtors (FL_Realtors) and also chose to import those into the "General" group as well as the new group I created. So now the General group contains BOTH New York Realtors and Florida Realtors.

Is this necessary or should the General group stay empty? Would having the General group contain ALL the combined records of the custom groups slow things down?

See screenshot for clarification...

Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2014 :  23:39:40  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

Group membership should not have any noticeable effect on performance, so you should concern yourself only with categorizing members in a way that is logical to you.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

iammagi

USA
175 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2014 :  03:24:37  Show Profile  Reply
My question is... Will the General group contain a combination of all members even if I don't import anything into it?
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2014 :  02:52:59  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

No, General is just the name of the default group in a new MLK installation.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

iammagi

USA
175 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2014 :  08:26:19  Show Profile  Reply
Well, I deleted all the items from the General group and it deleted ALL my contacts! The only group it left alone was my Test group which I created after by hand rather than by file import. All I can figure is that by importing the members simultaneously into the General and custom group it created some sort of link between the two groups.
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2014 :  02:11:12  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

Deleting a group will not delete the contacts in it, unless those contacts only belong to that group (and you choose the option not to move the orphaned contacts).

MLK does not link groups in any way.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: