Xequte User Forums
Profile | Join | Active Topics | Search | Forum FAQ
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 MailList King
 Forcing Updates to Database
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ILH

Canada
120 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2007 :  13:27:07  Show Profile  Reply
I'm looking for some suggestions from other users on this topic. Here's what I want to do:

I have a mailing list inside a corporate environment. There's lots of staff movement, so keeping the database current is always a challenge. I see that V7 doesn't yet incorporate a feature for renewals based on expiry date. So I'm looking to use either a custom field, or the birthday field to my advantage.

If I use the record date field to prompt a message to the users to update their records, and then capture the update date as a custom field - so that I can use it as the next calculation point for sending out a message (ie in 6, 9 or 12 months).

Does this sound feasible? Suggestions for how? Would it be easier to copy over the record date field to a custom field and just use that? How to do that?

Thanks.

--
Ian Hubling
ian@hubling.com

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2007 :  23:41:55  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Ian

We seriously considered this for v7 and skipped not because of the technical impediments, but rather we wanted to make the options dialog less complex for the release.

You can do this all with a delayed welcome messages that recurs every three months for instance, but as you will realize the problem is it won't affect your existing mailing list members.

Which only really leaves you the option of manually sending a confirmation message. You could then select all the members you sent to choose the "Set field" option and use a Custom field to specify when you must next update. Then next, naturally, you would use the filter option to find members matching the update field date.

Nigel
Xequte Software
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

ILH

Canada
120 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2007 :  10:29:15  Show Profile  Reply
I think I understand your suggested method - but the only problem is that although the custom fields would identify the people who would have updated their account(s), and I could manually filter them out from future messages, there is no automated way to excluded them from the list (much like the way bounces are automated).

--
Ian Hubling
ian@hubling.com
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2007 :  00:03:05  Show Profile  Reply
That's correct.

Nigel
Xequte Software
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

ILH

Canada
120 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  07:16:10  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Nigel,

Any progress or projected release on this feature (i.e. forced update to user profile). Thanks.

--
Ian Hubling
ian@hubling.com
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  22:05:16  Show Profile  Reply
Sorry Ian,

We haven't made any changes in that area at this time.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

ILH

Canada
120 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  06:28:36  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Nigel,

I'm just following up on this thread. I don't see any changes to this in V8 - do I assume it didn't make it into the final release?

--
Ian Hubling
ian@hubling.com
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2008 :  18:05:49  Show Profile  Reply
Not at this time, I'm afraid. We focused on popular items from our survey.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

ILH

Canada
120 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  07:59:13  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Nigel,

Every year or so I follow-up to see if there has been any movement on this suggested feature.

Just to refresh your memory, I am suggesting a variation on the current birthday feature, where a message is sent to subscribers at various intervals. If the subscriber does not respond (either to update their profile or some other trigger), they are removed from the database or moved to different list for follow-up.

I'm surprised that anybody running a paid subscription service hasn't already requested this automated feature.

We're running V10.20R Business Edition.

--
Ian Hubling
ian@hubling.com
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  13:45:55  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Ian

I personally think it is a good idea, but it will require another database field and index, which means that it imposes a [disk space] cost on all customers even if they don't use it. So I would like to hear from more customers if they require the feature.

I'll ensure it is also added to the next survey.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: