Xequte User Forums
Profile    Active Topics    Forum FAQ    Search this forumSearch
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 Smart Pix Manager and MegaView
 "batch edit and convert" confusion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xacute

24 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2018 :  16:51:37  Show Profile  Reply
I'm encountering a confusing issue with "batch edit and convert"
In one example I have two files in my database with the names "1(2).png and 1(2).jpg".
I want to convert the .png file to .jpg.
But the two originals are "different" from each other, so I don't want to overwrite.

Here's the pop-up dialog:

- Replace this file

1(2).jpg

- with this file

1(2).png

[] rename file [Copy of] ext [png]

The first choice, to replace, I do not want to do because the files are different, even though they have the same first part of the name.

The second choice, to rename, sounds good but when you hover over the suggested extension it advises not to change because it is the name of the new file.

This seems absurd to me if I'm doing a conversion to ".jpg". I get that there would be a clash if a straight up conversion is attempted because the new
file would end up with the same "entire" name as the already existing different file. So, it makes sense to ask to rename. But why would it suggest
the wrong extension for the conversion if all that's required to prevent a clash would be to change the "first part" of the name to something like "Copy of 1(2)" or "other1(2)". It seems to me that once you put something different in the pre-extension part of the name the extension suggestion could, ideally, be programmed to auto-disappear (or not even be there to begin with). You then type something back in only if there is some other reason for it being necessary.

Anyway, regardless of what I do, "Yes", "No", etc., it doesn't execute anything and tells me there was an error:
something like, make sure I have enough space and write access to folder. I have plenty of space and access.

Again, odd. When I do a function like manually renaming a file in Smart Pix Manager or the folder itself or perform the conversion with an external editor, it all works. Those things would not be allowed if I didn't have access to
the folder.

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2018 :  20:09:41  Show Profile  Reply
Hmmm, there is not reason you should ever get an overwrite confirmation when changing file extensions. I can't see why you should be getting that popup.

I'll need to investigate when we do the next update.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com

Go to Top of Page

xacute

24 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2018 :  19:21:48  Show Profile  Reply
Just to clarify:

The Initial dialog that comes up is the settings for format & output.
This also has a rename-file drop-down menu (add
prefix to beginning, etc.)

I think initially I had that rename field empty
and proceeded to the popup dialog I encountered in the above description.

I just recently tried it again on a different file that has no
possibility of conflict with any other similar but different file.
I entered "alternate" as an 'add prefix to beginning' choice in settings dialog.
I click "ok" and it seems to work, as no other popup (replace/rename) or error message occurs.

However, when I look for the converted copy without the "alternate" prefix (new name for original), no such file exists (apparently nothing executed).
And once again, I do it with an external editor and it works fine.
This recent test of "batch edit & convert" was done on a single file

Thanks for looking into it.

Anyway, I think the basic idea of what you have here is great! Although, still in its
infancy, it has a bit of polishing to go to get it to fully blossom.

I've been searching a long time for something that is focused primarily on
image searching and keywords/tagging. I think I may have found it.
Something that has enough advancement without feeling bloated.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2018 :  16:28:09  Show Profile  Reply
Thanks for the detail. I'll let you know once we've looked into it.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: