Xequte User Forums
Profile    Active Topics    Forum FAQ    Search this forumSearch
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 MailList King
 Mail Merge using custom fields
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bell1jl

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  17:51:32  Show Profile  Reply
I have added several custom fields to MLK, one of which is "Last Donation Date" I have a couple questions:

1) In MLK, how could I filter the list on this custom field? Something where I could grab the members whose last donation date was this month?
2) I have the ODBC driver and would like to do a mail merge. How can I filter my list to only deliver those whose donation date was this month?

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  00:17:10  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

1. Custom fields don't support before/after/greater/less than comparisons, only equal/doesn't equal. I.e. you can filter by:

Last Donation Date = February 2009 (assuming they are formatted in this way)

But not:

Last Donation Date > January 2009

Filtering of custom fields is available in Search/Filter Mailing List mode in the main window

2. You could use ODBC to set the "Checked" field of the mailing list database (e.g. by using an SQL join against another database), then filter by members that are checked and send to that. Alternatively you can generate a send list in your other database software and use that as your recipient list.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

bell1jl

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  06:02:31  Show Profile  Reply
Thanks Nigel.

Could you go a little more into how I can connect to the DB using ODBC with Access 2003? I tried to use the Access "link tables" option and then picked the MLK connection I created. Access immediately tells me that I have no default options specified or something like that. I have connected to MLK using Excel before and even using the Mail Merge function in Word. The problem is that I cannot figure out how to filter the list by that custom field once I get it to word.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  12:36:47  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

I don't use Access so I'm not really knowledgeable enough to give you advice.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: