Xequte User Forums
Profile | Join | Active Topics | Search | Forum FAQ
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 MailList King
 MLK not picking up fields
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

electricwind

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  19:21:40  Show Profile  Reply
It looks like since I upgraded from 6.28 to the latest version, MLK is no longer picking up web form fields from our incoming emails. It gets the email address, but that's all. No name, no address, nothing. It also is not picking up custom fields.

When I installed it, I made no changes to any Options, and just now am noticing that it's not picking up the fields, since my stats were weird.

What am I missing?

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  22:00:43  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

The most common reason for this is a clash of subjects. Mailing list messages are checked before web form messages, so if you have a web form message with the subject "SUBSCRIBE" it will be processed as a subscribe request with only the reply address used (and all other content ignored).

Please also go into View > Options, Incoming, Web Forms and check that the web form mapping settings are correct. In v9 we changed they way they were handled, you know only specify the name for each field and the field separator. It is possible this was not converted correctly when upgrading.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

electricwind

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  01:31:49  Show Profile  Reply
Upon further investigation, it appears with existing records, MLK picks up all fields correctly updating the records. It is with New Records that it only picks up email and assigns Member ID without the other fields.

The "subscribe" command is only in one webform so there is no clash. In that webform I use First Name/Last Name. In another webform I use NAME instead. Could that be a problem?

I checked several hundred records and the webform fields are all working correctly.
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  02:31:24  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

I'll need to send you some debug logging info.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

electricwind

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  13:41:46  Show Profile  Reply
Now I'm thinking it has something to do with the NAME field I'm using. In the webform setup I have NAME as the analog to Full Name, and this is the only difference between the various forms I'm using.

When I use First Name and Last Name in the webform, MLK picks them up as well as all the other fields. When I use NAME, it only picks up the email field and no other fields.

Boyd Martin
Tristar Online Sales
Portland, Oregon
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  19:55:31  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Boyd

I've checked your log, I don't see that "NAME" is causing any problems.

In your log a double opt-in message is sent to this member. Did you manually/automatically confirm this opt-in request to subscribe the member? Or is it still listed under View > History and Errors, Double Opt-In?

As a test, if you disable the double opt-in does it set all fields correctly?

If not, please send me another log of you processing a web form without double opt-in.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

electricwind

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  02:05:41  Show Profile  Reply
I removed the "Online Order" from Email Processing / Web Form Message Formatting subject line list, so the double optin only applies to subscriptions coming into the main Outlook Inbox. The Online Orders go to a different inbox within Outlook and are processed using "Folder Processing", so there's no double optin, yet MLK is acting as though it is. There is no command for it send a double optin message.

Which brings me back to the "NAME" field. All the other webforms specified in the Automatic Message Responding area work fine--MLK gets the fields. The only difference is that in all other webforms I'm using First Name/Last Name. I'm currently working to change what I get from the shopping cart so that First/Last Name fields are preserved for the notification message MLK uses to add a record.

I've emailed you the debug file demonstrating the above. I have MLK set to check AUTORESPONDERS folder in Outlook to set up the initial autoresponding message and delayed messages, and the MLKKingCart folder for Folder Processing Tasks (neither of the Option boxes are checked in the Folder Processing screen).

It looks like when it finds anything in the Autoresponders folder it sends out a double optin message. And yet, none of the messages going into that folder have subscribe commands in them. I don't know what to do about that since only messages in the main Outlook Inbox are supposed to be webforms for subscribing and unsubscribing.

When I test it by only using the Autoresponder folder or MLKKingCart folders in Outlook, in neither case does it pick up any fields except EMAIL.

I'm assuming in all of this that the MLK behaviors have changed between the ancient version I upgraded from and the new version. I'm just trying to find out how, or if there really IS a bug.
-----
OK, I just created a faux message using First Name / Last Name in webform message and MLK worked correctly--getting all the fields and creating messages.

SO... on the webform input screen if the fields do not match, MLK does not process. In old versions I could specify the analogous field for Full Name (NAME) and it worked fine. So is this a bug?

Boyd Martin
Tristar Online Sales
Portland, Oregon
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  15:37:33  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Boyd

I just did a test with your exact settings (including the double name specification) and it processed correctly regardless of the double opt-in setting.

(TIP: You can manually process test web forms in MLK by saving the message body to a text file with the extension .FORMTXT You then drag and drop the file onto MLK).

This matches what has happened in the logs you sent me. You can see that it has successfully retrived the details because the Double Opt-In message is adorned with the recipients name.

Unfortunately your logs don't show what happens when MLK processes the confirmation to the double opt-in so i cannot determine why/where the extra data is lost.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  15:47:30  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Boyd

Also, I have just tested processing it as you do using the "Folder Processing Tasks" function and could not reproduce any issue.

Please try and simplify the failure to a few simple steps that consistently reproduce it (e.g. using the .FORMTXT method above). Then email me the details.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

electricwind

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  15:48:53  Show Profile  Reply
I guess we're not exactly talking about the same thing. You're referring to double optin Newsletter Subscriptions.

I'm talking about messages coming in through Outlook from our shopping cart orders. They are webforms. They use NAME instead of First Name/Last Name.

When I run the form with First/Last Name it works. When I run it with NAME, it doesn't.

At this time, I have no way of changing what I get from the shopping cart (since it generates the order messages from "billtoname" and "shiptoname," (one line). I'm trying to fix this, but I was hoping MLK would just do it as it has in previous versions.

Boyd Martin
Tristar Online Sales
Portland, Oregon
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  16:17:09  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Boyd

Yes, it is possible that I am confused...

Double Opt-In can be used for any subscription, whether the source is the processing of a web form or a normal subscribe.

In the logs that you sent the web form messages, Online Order #1812, and Online Order #1813, both generated a double opt-in message (so will not be processed until they are confirmed).

I can't see any reason (yet) why First/Last Name vs. "NAME" should make any difference.

Can you reproduce that failure using two FORMTXT files? If so, please email them to me along with your settings.ini file.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

electricwind

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  12:58:27  Show Profile  Reply
OK, I'll create another debug file from the formtext you sent. The point is, they were NOT supposed to be subscription messages. I don't know how to prevent MLK from sending out the double optin for non-subscriber messages.

All that is supposed to happen is someone orders a product and we send them an acknowledgment and save the data.

Boyd Martin
Tristar Online Sales
Portland, Oregon
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  13:00:56  Show Profile  Reply
Oh sorry, Boyd, I misunderstood.

The default action for all web forms is to subscribe the member, so if the action field is blank/unset the member is subscribed.

If you do not want the member to be subscribed you need to explicitly state that no action should occur, i.e. add a hidden field named "Action" with the value "None".

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

electricwind

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  13:24:41  Show Profile  Reply
Does doing that prevent Automatic Emails and Delayed Messages? If so, it's not an answer to my dilemma.

Is this a change from previous versions?

Boyd Martin
Tristar Online Sales
Portland, Oregon
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  14:36:15  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Boyd

Sorry to confirm:

- You have web form messages coming in
- You want MLK to send a response (immediately and the some after a while)
- You do not want the member added to your mailing list

In that case you need to use the "Automatic Message Responders" function (View > Options, Automatic Emails). It allows MLK to send responses to a message without needing to subscribe them to your mailing list (though as you are using a web form you will still need to set Action: None).

(This is the same as earlier versions).

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

electricwind

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  15:58:26  Show Profile  Reply
OK, well that's how I have it set up. So that's good.

I tried the test to see if MLK would pick up the NAME field. It did. So now I'm really confused. I don't know why it's working now. I didn't change anything that I know of. So, I must of changed something I don't know of!

Boyd Martin
Tristar Online Sales
Portland, Oregon
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  16:03:22  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Boyd

I've sent instructions via email in response to your last log. Please let me know if you have any further difficulty.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: