Xequte User Forums
Profile | Join | Active Topics | Search | Forum FAQ
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 DVD PixPlay
 Desktop previews ok but Netbook loosing time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrisbwy

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  00:59:49  Show Profile  Reply
Hi,

I have a V6.12 project that plays ok on my desktop and keeps accurate time i.e. the music tracks start and end at the correct frames.

However when I transfer this project to my Netbook it plays ok ( some of the transitions not quite as smooth as on the desktop but I can live with that ) but the frame timing is out by a long way. Music tracks start and stop frames on the desktop don't match those on the Netbook.

Is this a lack of processing power problem with the Netbook?

Preview setting set to "Standard" resolution.

It would have been nice to take the Netbook to do the slideshow but if not I'll have to lug the desktop about.

Any advice appreciated.

Screen output resolution set to 1024 x 768 on both machines.

Regards and thanks

Chris Hargreaves

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  01:12:36  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Chris

Under View > Options, "General" tab what is your "Optimize playback" setting in the "Slideshow Preview" box?

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

chrisbwy

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  14:22:34  Show Profile  Reply
thanks for the prompt reply Nigel.

I originally had it set to "Show each frame for specified duration" and have run the Preview again with it set to "Start each frame at its designated time". This second option does improve the timing but it's still not in sync with the desktop by a number of 3 second frames. Also with this option selected the image motions seem much quicker and not as smooth or easy on the eye.

I also tried starting the preview at the start of the next song ( frame 84 rather than frame 1 ) and it almost ended this song where it should according to the song length and frame start times. This section has no image motion effects. Could this be a clue?

I am going to edit frame 1 to 83 and remove image motions and see if the netbook keeps in sync with the desktop.

Any more info or comments gratefully received.

I'll be back tomorrow with an update.

Regards

Chris
Go to Top of Page

chrisbwy

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2010 :  14:30:44  Show Profile  Reply
back again - that was a quicker edit than i thought.

yes - no image motion effects and the netbook and desktop are in sync.

is my netbook not powerful enough to do this?

regards

chris
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  16:11:09  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Chris

It is quite likely then that the Netbook lacks the oomph to load and render the effects adequately (as they can be quite processor intensive).

If your images are very large digital camera photos you might try reducing them in size (e.g. to around 2 Megapixels). Although PixPlay should automatically optimize loading of large images, it is still possible you speed up loading and memory handling this way if they are particularly large.

You can do this in a batch with editing programs such as MegaView or Smart Pix:

http://www.xequte.com/features/viewercompare.html

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

chrisbwy

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  02:49:23  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Nigel,

Think you're right. Netbook lacking processing power for image size.

This only happens if image motions are included.

Original images about 1.5M file size.

I reduced these down to 1024 x 768 ( 0.7M ) file size and Netbook now in sync with desktop with either setting in "Optimize playback".

So I increased resolution to 1280 x 960 ( 1.2M ) file size and Netbook slightly out of sync ( but not as bad as with original image size ). By changing "Optimize playback" setting to "Start each frame at its designated time" and Netbook back in sync.

So I think this is the answer.

When I "Preview" slideshow what is the output resolution?

How is this set?

Thanks again.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  13:43:59  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Chris

When previewing a slideshow it is output at screen resolution (i.e. 1024 x 768 in your case).

But you should not use this as the destination resolution for your images if you are using motion effects as they may zoom into a part of the image (by default - if you don't custom specify motion effects - this may be an extra 20%).

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

chrisbwy

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  02:45:38  Show Profile  Reply
Preview at screen resolution ok - thanks.

However, can you explain

"But you should not use this as the destination resolution for your images if you are using motion effects as they may zoom into a part of the image (by default - if you don't custom specify motion effects - this may be an extra 20%)."

is a bit more detail please?

Thanks

Chris
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  03:04:37  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Chris

Well let's say that your images are resized exactly to match your screen size (i.e. 1024 x 768 in your case) then you won't have any problems as long as you don't use motion effects (or custom photo cropping). If, however, you use motion effects then PixPlay will often zoom into an image and if there is not sufficient resolution (i.e. it is zooming the image to more than 100%) then it will look quite blurry. So your minimum resolution for your screen size would be more like 1230 x 920 (at 20% zooming for motion effects).

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

chrisbwy

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  05:40:51  Show Profile  Reply
ok understood.

My best compromise to use the Netbook, with its slight lack of uP power, is to set screen resolution to 1280x960, resize all images to 1280x960 and manually set any image motion effects using the Custom option ( which is what I used to do anyway so I could choose the motion and zoom positions myself within the image ).

Does this sound ok?

Thanks

Chris

Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2010 :  14:27:11  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Chris

Your best solution is to run your Netbook at its native resolution (1024 x 768) and resize all your images to 20% bigger than this (1280 x 960) or a little more.

When using the motion effects either use the built-in selection or use custom ones, but be careful you do not get the warning "Selection is lower than recommended resolution).

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

chrisbwy

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  06:14:42  Show Profile  Reply
This info may help other people.

The major reason for the out of sync timing between the video and audio on the Netbook was caused by writing to the Netbook's LCD screen.

When I turned this off and used the VGA output to another monitor or projector then the timing was ok. This was using the Preview function in DVDPixPlay to show the slideshow. Images resized to 1280x960.

So if you want to use a 1.1GHz Atom powered Netbook or similar then I would recommend 1280x960 images and using an external device to display.

The size of the Netbook makes it very convenient to take in your bag down to the venue for making your presentation.

Hope this helps!!!!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  01:34:10  Show Profile  Reply
Thanks Chris

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

petergroft

India
263 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2022 :  02:21:35  Show Profile  Reply
1. Turn Off your computer.
2. Open your computer's case.
3. Find out where the CMOS battery sits on the motherboard. If you cannot find where the CMOS battery sits on the motherboard, then read the motherboard's manual.
4. Remove the battery from its place. *
5. Replace the battery* with a new one.
6. Power On your system and then set the time settings.

Hope You Find This Useful,
Peter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: