Xequte User Forums
Profile | Join | Active Topics | Search | Forum FAQ
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 MailList King
 Automatic Message Responding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ILH

Canada
120 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  11:04:32  Show Profile  Reply
Nigel,

I've been experimenting with the Automatic Message Responding feature as a way to distribute older policy documents within my organization. I think I have it working, alhtough I'd like to clarify a couple of points with you:

1. If I create a web form that lists all of the various documents available to the user (as an email with attachment sent back), I would have to set up a seperate rule for each item, correct? Basically the rule would test for the on/off choice for each document check box. Is there an easier way? ie 50 documents = 50 rules

2. In your online instructions, you indicate that if you set the form action to "none", the user will not be added to the list. My tests indicate that the user won't be removed from the list either. Please confirm.

Thanks Nigel.

--
Ian Hubling
ian@hubling.com

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  04:22:50  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Ian

1. Yes, that would require 50 rules so you might be better off coding a script to do it instead

2. If it is Action = None then no subscribe or unsubscribe action will take place with regard to the database at all

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

ILH

Canada
120 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  11:26:22  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Nigel,

I've returned to this topic after a while - experimenting again. I got pulled away from this the first time and never got back to it.

As previously discussed, if I use this method to distribute older documents, I can set up a web page where users can select the documents to be sent.

However, I can't find a way to add a file attachment that would be variable. For instance, lets assume the file is occasionally updated, so it would be nice to point to a location where the file is replaced. The MLK message would pick up the most current version for its attachment. Is this possible? Or is the outgoing autoresponder 'fixed' in terms of both the message and attachments as at the point it was saved?

Thanks.

--
Ian Hubling
ian@hubling.com
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  11:36:29  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Ian

If you specify a folder path for your attachment then MLK will take whatever file is there at the time of sending, so, for example, if the attachment is:

C:\MLK\MonthlyNewsletter.pdf

You could replace that file each month with a new file and the latest would always be sent.

Another option you can investigate is personalization fields in attachment names, but i can't see how you might use it in this instance.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

ILH

Canada
120 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  11:38:01  Show Profile  Reply
Nigel,

I tried entering a path for the file - but can't find a way to or place to enter it. The dialogue box requires me to point to a file - it won't let me enter a path. If I enter a path name (URL) in the text of the message, it defeats the point of sending a file as part of the message.

Where do you suggest entering the path info?

--
Ian Hubling
ian@hubling.com
Go to Top of Page

ILH

Canada
120 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2011 :  09:07:36  Show Profile  Reply
Nigel,

I have a follow-up question to this thread.

If I have a form that allows a user to select from a number of check-boxes for file attachments - such that the form will send it like:

File: T001, T002, T003

It seems that the automatic email rules within MLK are seeing the first key word (in this case "T001") and then stopping. Are the rules not cascading? If they are not, then I'll have to figure out a way to send a separate email for each request. I was assuming it was handled similarly to the way groups are handled.

--
Ian Hubling
ian@hubling.com
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7042 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2011 :  01:15:14  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Ian

I suggest the easiest way is to have a file at the desired location and select that when you click "Attach File".

It is OK if you change it later.

The other option is to open the message file in Windows Notepad and edit it manually (which is quite straightforward).

Regarding the web form issue, that is getting into quite advanced usage. You can probably do it like this:

1. In your web form give each checkbox a different name, e.g. File_T001, File_T002, File_T003

2. When you add that member to the mailing list add each of these as a custom field

3. Add each of your attachments using conditions, e.g.

%CONDITION:File_T001=Checked%C:\Files\T001.pdf%CONDITION:END%
%CONDITION:File_T002=Checked%C:\Files\T002.pdf%CONDITION:END%
%CONDITION:File_T003=Checked%C:\Files\T003.pdf%CONDITION:END%

This is not something i have specifically tested, but it should work in theory

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly