Xequte User Forums
Profile    Active Topics    Forum FAQ    Search this forumSearch
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 Other Software and Discussion
 quick texts all diappeared-any chance of recovery?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dougransom

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  17:04:41  Show Profile  Reply
all my quicktexts disappeared today. Yikes.

Any chance of getting them back. Attached or some relevant screenshots.

doug ransom

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  02:02:15  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

It's hard to imagine what's gone wrong there. I would start by attempting to repair the database.

1. Restart Windows and don't open Outlook
2. Download the Database Utility from http://www.xequte.com/download/dbsys426.exe
3. Install and Run it.
4. Select Utilities > Repair
5. Click Select and browse to your database folder
6. Your database files will be displayed in the box below. Hold down the Ctrl key and select each file in turn
7. Click Open to repair all of your files

If that fails import your quick text from your automatic backup folder.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

dougransom

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  12:56:02  Show Profile  Reply
Hi, I tried the above repair and that did not work.

I don't seem to have an automatic backup file, where would I look or what would it be named?

Failing that, I might have a backup of my file system (I'm not sure). Can I just restore the whole C:\Users\doug\AppData\Local\Xequte\Text Lightning from last week if I have it?

doug ransom
Go to Top of Page

dougransom

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  13:37:04  Show Profile  Reply
Hi,

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling text lightning. That didn't help.

Then I deleted the folder where text lightning stores its data and restarted Outlook and reconfigure text lightning. That did not help either.

It seems that I just do not get the control available to insert text lightning items into my email messages.

Otherwise, text lightning add-in seems to be enabled. I can use the quick move feature for example.

Notice a disabled ad in in Outlook ,"mssphtlb.dll", I don't know if that has anything to do with text lightning.

I attached a screencap of what composing a new message now looks like

doug ransom

Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  14:02:27  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Doug

Sorry, but I cannot see any good reason why it should be failing in this way. If it wasn't a free product, I'd suggest you ask for a refund

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

dougransom

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  14:05:17  Show Profile  Reply
Maybe you should charge for it, it is a great product, I am sure you could sell it for $30.

My guess is there is some control in the right pane that is not registered on my computer. It is frustrating, it just stopped working Monday. I don't recall doing anything to my computer on Friday.

doug ransom
Go to Top of Page

dougransom

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2015 :  17:23:47  Show Profile  Reply
I have an additional piece of information:

In addition to the ability to execute a quick text,

the new folder button doesn't doesn't work either. it just silently does nothing. you can see in the attached screenshot.

here is a video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qyw8j19izdkz10k/text-lightning.wmv?dl=0

Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2015 :  04:17:28  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

As I understand it you have uninstalled and reinstalled Text Lightning and completed deleted its settings. If that does not resolve it, then there is some unexpected incompatibility occurring.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

dougransom

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  15:57:41  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Nigel,

My guess is some other piece of software that was uninstalled incorrectly unregistered or deleted a control the TextLightning uses, so TextLightning doesn't know to install it.

Would you mind sharing the name of the control (product name and dll or ocx name) that should be used for the tree view highlighted in my first post of the problem, and for the "New Folder" action in the july 27 post?

It is probably an ActiveX object or soemthing similar your code is trying to load, that just isn't there, and you toast the error.

Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  04:59:49  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Doug

Text Lightning will automatically register itself when installing, but you can try registering it manually by opening a command window and entering:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Text Lightning\XLightning.dll"
Go to Top of Page

dougransom

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  14:18:33  Show Profile  Reply
I had already tried that. It is really suspicious that the tree view control won't display - Is there a 3d party tree view control that could perhaps be incorrect registered, or a missing third party DLL for that tree view if it is not an ActiveX component?

Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  14:47:58  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

Text Lightning does not use any ActiveX controls, only Windows common controls. There are no dependencies for its controls other than standard Windows DLLs.
Go to Top of Page

dougransom

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  15:10:11  Show Profile  Reply
I would love to have this fixed. Used to work, now it doesn't even after multiple reinstalls. Something must have done something to my system to bugger up XLightning, either security (seems unlikely) or removing a DLL you use. Sadly, a reinstall of windows is too much to handle.

If you ever want to check in with me and put the debugger on it, let me know. I have visual studio installed.

The only other guess I have is whatever API or control (i.e. database or CSV reader or however it works) you use to read the quicktext into memory has a missing dll.

Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  00:09:59  Show Profile  Reply
Hi

I wish I had some further suggestions for you, but short of reinstalling Windows, I don't think there is much left to try
Go to Top of Page

dougransom

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2015 :  16:55:33  Show Profile  Reply
I reenabled the add in just to test aas I am desperate for it. Suddenly it started working!

Things that changed recently that may have fixed the problem:
- outlook password on an exchange account. My suspicion is this fixed it.
- email signature. I stopped using this technique. http://cfxcreative.com/blog/2011/01/tricking-outlook-2010-into-using-custom-html-template-for-new-messages-replies-forwards/ and just use the same signatres as everyone else.

I am going to ask/suggest for future releases that errors/exceptions are are not silently ignored, but displayed in a message box or logged to the windows system login. TextLightning is superb when it works, and kills me when it breaks.

Does textlightning use exchange credentials for anything, or store them?
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2015 :  20:32:33  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Doug

All critical errors, such as these, should always be exposed, but I will investigate whether their may be contributary failures that are suppressed.

TextLightning makes no use of Exchange credentials.
Go to Top of Page

dougransom

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2015 :  10:26:24  Show Profile  Reply
Grr. the problem reappeared this morning. When I started Outlook, I was presented with the attached dialogue which gives us a clue as to what the problem might be.

since then I tried to open the folder in the dialogue, I was prompted with a security warning asking if I wanted permanent access to the folder, which I answered yes. I was able to look at the HTML file.

A text lightning still doesn't work. Same problem as before – none of the quick texts show in the menus and dialogues.

doug ransom

it appears there was a Windows update this morning.I downloaded the most recent installer, which is the same as the version I installed the believe, and reran it but no joy.
Go to Top of Page

dougransom

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2015 :  12:33:43  Show Profile  Reply
I tried running CC cleaner to clean up registry and temp files, and rebooted. That seemed to magically work.

I'm back up and running.

doug ransom
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  14:44:51  Show Profile  Reply
Hmmm, that's actually a failure in the library we use for Outlook integration. Inability to create a temporary file is odd. Next time the issue occurs check the specified file. Does it already exist? If so investigate its properties.

The other possibility is over active anti-virus software deleting the file as soon as it is created. What anti-virus product do you use?

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com

Go to Top of Page

dougransom

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  14:36:09  Show Profile  Reply
I ran into this again, TextLightning stopped working a few months ago, around the time I tried to store the files in a local drive other than the default %DB%.

My findings are that using a folder other than %DB% is problematic. Also, I suggest users clean out their temp folder regularly.

doug ransom
Go to Top of Page

dougransom

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2017 :  14:49:30  Show Profile  Reply
Here is a workaround to have your files stored elswhere.

Move the files from C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Xequte\Text Lightning to where you want them (i.e. somewhere on your cloud storage).

remove "Text Lightning" from C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Xequte

create a junction point to your new spot.
mkdir -J "Text Lightning" the-path-to-where-your-files-are.

I store mine in OneDrive for business.

doug ransom
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: