Xequte User Forums
Profile    Active Topics    Forum FAQ    Search this forumSearch
Forum membership is Free!  Click Join to sign-up
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Forum Tips
» This forum is for users to discuss their software problems and suggestions for improvement.  Remember that only a tiny percentage of our users experience such problems (To be precise less than 0.7% have ever posted on this forum)
» Include your software version number (as displayed in the About Box)
» Check the FAQ before posting as most common questions have already been answered
» You don't need to also e-mail us separately as our support team will respond to all questions on this forum

All Forums
 Xequte User Forums
 MailList King
 Export all settings and data to new setup
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bruce23

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2013 :  17:46:30  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Nigel;

As you kow management is looking at all aspects of staying with MLK versus moving to an online email responder system like A-Weber, etc. There are quite a few.

I have prepared a proposal for management and I have a few questions that I would like some information on to complete my proposal.

1) An advantage to online systems like A-Weber are they can be accessed anywhere by different employees who needs to access databases, etc., to send out information. I am trying to figure out how I could create a database and all settings and have it on our ftp server so that any one of our divisions who had a license for MLK can access and download the settings and databases in order to import them and use those settings. I have tried a number of things but nothing has been very successful. I have exported the files from user files including configuration and DB file, but when they are imported all the settings are wrong.

Can you tell me exactly which files must be copied and then moved to another version of MLK 11 (business) for all the settings including auto responders, email process settings for sending and checking emails, etc., so they work flawlessly with other divisions that have the same version of MLK Business.

I need something simple that anyone can follow for exporting the settings and database and will not fail to work properly when openedon a different computer with the same version of MLK.

Thanks Nigel

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2013 :  03:29:33  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Bruce

MLK stores everything in files, so it is easy to copy between systems.

Firstly, you should tie the settings to the database.

To do this set the option, "Use a Different Configuration for each Database" (under View > Options, Database), this causes MLK to store all its settings in a \Config\ folder under the DB folder.

Now, select Ctrl+Shift+I and open your database folder. If you copy everything in that folder to another system it will run as it does on your system.

There are few exceptions, however. You will need to enter a valid serial number on each system, and you will also need to specify the setting above.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

Bruce23

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  09:01:08  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Nigel
I followed all the instructions including use a different configuration per above. I then copied all the files that were in the folder per your instructions above. Yet when I open the other copy none of the settings from the original MLK have been copied over to the second MLK.

What I am looking for is something to show management that once the settings have been created in one MLK pro setup for everything from sending email to forms, etc., all of this can be established on any MLK Pro installation without us having to set up everything all over again.

Look at it as if the computer MLK was installed on went down and we had to move MLK from one computer to another one. How would we do this. The above does not work as it does not transfer all the OPTIONS settings.
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  16:49:23  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Bruce

When you run MLK from the thumbdrive and click Ctrl+Shift+I, what are the folders that are listed?

Can you confirm that the folder is named \Config\ and is located in the \DB\ folder?

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

Bruce23

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  17:04:06  Show Profile  Reply
I am not running MLK from a thumbdrive. That was a separate question and has no bearing on this question.

The folder says config on the local machine but when copied to another machine none of the settings from the original machine are transferred. We have offices across the country so if we are to standardize on MLK everyone will have their own licensed copy but we will have one master from which we would expect to create all the other copies from.
In other words, think of it as if the computer MLK was installed on went down and we had to move MLK from one computer to another one. How would we do this. The above instrictions you gave does not work as it does not transfer all the OPTIONS settings such as email accounts being used to send out emails, confirmation messages, double opt in messages etc.
I don't know how else to say this - basically how would we quickly make ALL copies of MLK on ALL computers exactly the same so they run the same settings without our having to set up every single copy each time. I think the concept of how to back it up and then reestablish it on another computer is the best description I can give you.
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2013 :  20:57:08  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Bruce

1. On the source machine enable the mentioned option, "Use a Different Configuration for each Database"

2. In the main window, select Ctrl+Shift+I and display the database folder

This folder will now contain all mailing list details and your configuration details...

EXCEPT

There are some related files (mainly acknowledgement messages, as you have discovered) that may not be included if the option 1 above was not enabled from the outset.

Unfortunately to address that you need to manually copy the missing files (e.g. those in the GroupMessages folder) from the old settings folder to the new one.

Note: In v12 it copies these files automatically when changing option 1

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

Bruce23

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2013 :  23:10:51  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Nigel;
Unfortunately this just does not work. I also assume when you say to select "Use A Different Configuration for each Database", what you mean is to select the option that says "Use Different Settings for each mailing list database" as I cannot find any settings that says what you have indicated. Am I missing something here?

So perhaps that is the problem. What I have turned on and always had on was the setting that said "Use Different Settings for each mailing list database".

If this is the correct one then, no, the backup does not work. When I open the new mail list king file there all the databases listed, but there are no emails in the database and NONE of the settings for email processing including sending emails is there. Everything has to be set up again.

Is there no other way for a backup of the program to work? We are using the business edition, and it must work for backing up otherwise it would be too time consuming to set up all the settings again. Please assist me in figuring out how to backup all the settings and transfer them to a second computer so that it actually works. If you want I can send you images of all the settings from the source computer to the second computer so that you can see I am following your instructions but no settings are actually copied over. Let me know.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce23

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2013 :  23:13:32  Show Profile  Reply
Also I would be interested in knowing if any other forum members have ever transferred all their settings to a backup or second computer. We have three licenses and I have tried all three copies and had our tech team look at the instructions from the forum as well and they cannot get all the settings to transfer over.
Has anyone ever done this and been successful at transferring all the settings for everything from the original to a copy or a backup? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  03:03:58  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Bruce

On each installation please click Ctrl+Shift+I to check the folder that the MLK is using to read both the database and the settings. If they are correct then open the folder and check the settings files are correct (e.g. by opening settings.ini and examining the content).

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

Bruce23

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  10:06:32  Show Profile  Reply
What should I be looking for as to why this does not work?
Go to Top of Page

Bruce23

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  10:10:22  Show Profile  Reply
I also would be interested in knowing if anyone else has ever backed up and moved their mail list king program and all settings to another computer. That would certainly be a help. Perhaps MLK needs a full backup utility built in so that all settings and the database are backed up in a professional manner. This would make this task simple. In a business environment this is the type of utility that is needed.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce23

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  10:15:00  Show Profile  Reply
Nigel
I have done all the steps you indicate. Yet it does not copy over the settings. What within account.ini should I be looking for. Should they match? If they should match cannot I just copy over the account.ini?
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  13:57:45  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Bruce

Close MLK and copy your desired settings (all the files in the source settings folder) to the folder that it is using. Then restart MLK to use those settings.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

Bruce23

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  18:04:26  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Nigel
I will send you images of the folders privately and you can then see that what you are suggesting is exactly what I am doing, however when the files are opened on MLK on a new computer, they do not have all the settings at all. That way you can then tell me what I am missing because honestly, this just does not work. I did receive about half a dozen emails privately from other forum members who advised me they could also not get the backup idea you are indicating here to work. At least I know I am not alone in being unable to get this to work properly.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce23

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  18:08:18  Show Profile  Reply
Also you did not reply to my question about the configuration setting: Can you please reply to this so I know whether you are referencing something different or perhaps are using a different version than the pro editions I have been testing. Here is my comment below. Thanks.

I also assume when you say to select "Use A Different Configuration for each Database", what you mean is to select the option that says "Use Different Settings for each mailing list database" as I cannot find any settings that says what you have indicated. Am I missing something here?

So perhaps that is the problem. What I have turned on and always had on was the setting that said "Use Different Settings for each mailing list database".
Go to Top of Page

Bruce23

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2013 :  18:39:53  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Nigel;
I sent you all the settings and images via a private email to show you what I am seeing. I now have 14 emails from forum members who say the backup method does not work and they can backup their database (which I can do as well) but they find they have to set up all other settings. Also they cannot find "Use A Different Configuration for each Database", but did find what I found which was "Use Different Settings for each mailing list database". We are assuming that we are correct and you are just referencing an older or newer version or were just in error. Please let us all know. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  02:23:16  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Bruce

I'm not sure what you are refering to with regard to other users, MLK's "backup" feature is not supposed to backup settings, only the database.

With regard to transitioning settings between systems, at least once a week a user will emails us because they need to transfer their settings to a new computer. I advise them of the standard procedure (Copy settings from old settings source folder to the one the new installation is using) and we rarely hear of problems with it.

The setting you are referring to is correct: "Use different settings for each mailing list database" (exact text depends on the version).

I received your email, but it does not sound like you copied the files yourself from the source folder to the destination folder. You need to copy these files while MLK is not running on both systems.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

Bruce23

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  06:21:53  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Nigel
Can you tell me from the images I sent to you which folders EXACTLY you want copied over. I have tried everything from one folder to two folders to all three folders to the entire mailist king directory. No MLK are running when I have transferred over.

The emails I have received from forum members all advised they had to set up their settings again once they had tried to copy the folders as copying the folders did not work for them either on the new system. I am emailing today all those who privately emailed me after seeing this post to see if they had MLK running or not when copying over. I would think most would know to copy the folders when MLK is NOT running but you never know. I have copied the folders when MLK is not running.
It will be handy to have a list from you of the exact folders to copy. That will then tell me whether we can proceed further or whether to drop MLK from the running here as a backup of settings is important and without that it cannot be used in our business environment where this kind of operation should be straight forward and flawless. Thanks Nigel
Go to Top of Page

Bruce23

Canada
134 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2013 :  06:28:54  Show Profile  Reply
Just a thought Nigel. If just about once a week you have users emailing about transitioning settings and the program to a new computer, it would be a nice addition if this was just built into the software just like the database backup.
You might want to consider that for future versions. Just an idea for you.
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  03:06:54  Show Profile  Reply
Hi Bruce

Copy all the files and folders in:

C:\Documents and Settings\Acer\Local Settings\Application Data\Xequte\MailList King\SYS Newsletter Request\Config\

To:

C:\Users\Main\AppData\Local\Xequte\MailList King\DB\Config\

Then open:

C:\Users\Main\AppData\Local\Xequte\MailList King\DB\Config\Settings.ini

And check it is the same as:

C:\Documents and Settings\Acer\Local Settings\Application Data\Xequte\MailList King\SYS Newsletter Request\Config\Settings.ini

Then run MLK. Check the settings and let me know which do not match.

I'll add an option to copy the current settings to a coming update.

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page

xequte

7504 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2013 :  21:48:27  Show Profile  Reply
FYI, in v12.01 you can:

- Select File > Mailing List, "Copy To" it will copy your database to a new location. It will also copy settings if "Use Different Settings for each database" is enabled.

You can then switch to that database (and its settings) using File > Open Mailing List

- Right-click the mode tree, under "Advanced" you can copy your database and/or settings to a new folder

Nigel
Xequte Software
www.xequte.com
nigel@xequte.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: